Get Informed/For School Partners
Would you like to have a Pay It Forward Tour at your School?
Thank you for your interest in STLF programs as a positive opportunity for your students. This page is intended to guide you to the right STLF resource to get your questions answered.
Choose Your Program
STLF works with students at the College, High School, and Middle School level. Please choose your program interest below:
- High School Pay It Forward Tour
- Middle School Pay It Forward Tour
- High School Summer Leadership Camp
- College Chapter/Pay It Forward Tour
General Information on STLF and Programs:
STLF is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit based out of Minneapolis, MN, with college chapters and school partnerships spreading through the Midwest and across the country. STLF is a youth-driven organization that provides positive life experiences for college, high school, and middle school students through Pay It Forward Tours and High School Leadership Camps. To learn more about STLF and each of the primary programs it offers, please follow the links of interest listed below:
- STLF General Information
Student Policies and Expectations on STLF Programs:
All students of all age groups - college, high school, and middle school - who participate in an STLF program will agree to a certain set of policies and expectations of behavior during their STLF program experience:
- All students agree to participate in all activities and service projects associated with this STLF experience whenever physically capable.
- All students agree to understand that the rules of any places we stay or serve are also rules that they must abide by, as they become rules of STLF.
- All students agree that there is a Zero Tolerance Policy regarding the possession and use of alcohol, drugs, or other illegal substances, regardless of age, gender, culture, etc.
- All students agree that the use or possession of tobacco products, (smoking or chewing), during any High School STLF program is prohibited, regardless of age, gender, culture, etc.
- All students agree that the possession or use of a weapon or other item that might cause bodily harm to persons is prohibited on this program.
- If students do not comply with the abovementioned policies regarding drugs and alcohol, weapons, tobacco products, and other requirements, they may be asked to leave the program early.
- If for any reason a student must leave the program early, they are then responsible for finding, confirming, and paying for all fees their departure may incur.
STLF partners with High Schools and Youth-Serving organizations across the nation to provide high school aged students (grades 9-12) a high-impact leadership and service experience. About 50% of STLF's programs are High School Pay It Forward Tours.
The High School Pay It Forward Tour is a 5-day community service roadtrip designed to Reveal Leadership through Service, Relationships, and Action. Each tour consists of:
- Five Days - Four Nights in four communities
- Four service projects focusing on various social issues (estimated 24 service hours)
- Three community-style overnights (in churches, YMCA's, community centers, etc.)
- Two College/University Tours
- Evening Leadership Programming
- College Core of 5 - 6 trained college volunteers
- T-shirt and long-sleeve
- Up To 35 High School Students
Type of School/Program:
STLF works in all school settings (Public, Private, and Charter).
We offer two programming 'types': Standard Tour & Contracted
Standard: Most of our High School Pay It Forward Tours fall into this category. In a standard tour - students self-pay and self-register. STLF partners with schools (who promote the program) while working directly with a school contact (we call them the school champion!) to make the program a reality.
Contracted: Some schools/organizations choose to pay for their students to go on the tour. STLF works with the school partner to meet the schools financial capacity.
The High School Pay It Forward Tour is a customizeable program. STLF can create a conversation with you and your school to assess your specific needs/desires. We strive to maintain the Tour model whenever possible - but have found that a few programmatic pieces can be interchanged.
Examples of this include:
- Service Focus (5 - 6 service projects)
- College Focus (3+ College/University Experiences/Overnight)
- Career Focus (Business Site Visits)
STLF offers three core services to partner schools:
- Liability: STLF assumes 100% of the risk/liability for the program. This is covered through our liability insurance.
- Logistics: STLF assumes 100% of the program planning/logistics. We do not add additional school staff time to plan a tour as bring the bus to your door!
- Finances: STLF manages 100% of the finances for the program through our online registration system. We will not have to access your school finance
STLF requests that schools:
- Contact: Designate one individual to the be primary contact to STLF. We call this person the School Champion.
- Chaperone: Send at least one school representative. This could be a teacher/parent. This person represents the school and home community.
- Recruitment: Recruit and fill the bus of 35 students. STLF will work with you to make this a reality. We cannot assume 100% of the recruitment ourselves.
- Policies: Share with STLF any specific policies/information items that we should know about pre-tour.
To Start A Tour at Your School:
Please communicate with Caitlin (information below). STLF will work with you to approve the program and lay a framework for success.
We ask that students are brought in from the beginning to ensure a strong program.
Please contact the Manager of High School Programs - Caitlin Plaza | email@example.com | 847-507-1043 | anytime with your questions and interest
- High School Pay It Forward Tour General Information
STLF plans to continue to offer two camp experiences for summer 2010. One is STLF's signature High School Leadership Camp Program for students entering grades 9-12 in Fall 2009. The other is a new program in 2009 called Gap Camp, which is designed for students during their summer between high school and college.
High School Leadership Camp:
STLF's High School Leadership Camp is an intensive six day experience, filled with team-building activities, challenging workshops, lasting memories, and a commitment to positive change. The camp is open to all students entering grades 9-12.
Regardless of prior leadership experience, background, or location, this experience is one you would not regret.
Gap Camp is specifically designed as a leadership program for recent high school graduates during the summer between high school and college. Gap Camp takes place at the same time and location as the High School Leadership Camp, and will be a week of great fun, friends, memories, learning, service, and leadership. As a participant of STLF's newest program, you have the opportunity to begin a new generation of leadership in the organization.
Schools to Send Students:
Some schools formally send students to camp while others promote it to their students.
Feel free to pick your involvement - please contact Danny (information below) with your inquiry.
Please contact Manager of Camp Programs - Danny Walter | firstname.lastname@example.org | 937-478-5633 | anytime with your questions and interest
- Leadership Camp General Information
STLF is excited to grow our newest program - the Middle School Pay It Forward Tour. This three day (two night) program engages students in grades 6-8.
As each Middle School Tour is unique - please contact Greg (information below) with your interest and questions.
The Middle School Pay It Forward Tour is a 3-day community service roadtrip designed to introduce students to service. Each tour consists of:
- Three Days - Two Nights in Two communities
- Three service projects focusing on various social issues (estimated 12 service hours)
- Two community-style overnights (in churches, YMCA's, community centers, etc.)
- Evening Leadership Programming
- College Core of trained college volunteers
- High School Leaders (some tours)
- T-shirt and long-sleeve
Please contact Manager of Middle School Programs - Danny Walter | email@example.com | 937-478-5633 | anytime with your questions and interest
- Middle School Pay it Forward Tour General Information
STLF's core program is the College Chapter/Pay It Forward Tour. Each college campus forms a formal STLF chapter and organizes it's very own College Spring Break Pay It Forward Tour.
This is an exciting multi-year process.
If this is an interest of yours - please contact Tanya (information below) immediately.
Please contact Manager of College Programs - Ellie Thorstad | firstname.lastname@example.org | 262-676-9110 | anytime with your questions and interest
- College Pay It Forward Tour General Information
My Story - Dan "Sparky" Knapp
Sparky shares his experience through multiple years of PIF'n